September 30, 1941


Tues. 9:00 P.M., 9-30-41

Hello Mom & Pop:

This is your soldier boy again. I’m writing more often now to get in your good graces before I come home. How’s everything in Mpls. including the Alquist family? Everything is O.K. here in Bragg – weather’s been quite warm the last few days.

I have some new developments on the furlough to tell you about. I won’t be coming home on Oct. 11 as I told you in that last letter. The Capt. Informed us at Mon’s retreat that the date has been shoved back a week to the 18th. I hope this will be final now – I think it will. So I’ll be seeing you a week later than I expected – around Oct. 20th. Now you won’t have to hurry so much in sending the money & the train schedule.

I saw Coll last night at the show & he is quite sure of getting his furlough at the same time – isn’t that swelligant. And still better, I got a letter from Lee Stensrud in which he says that he is coming home on Oct. 20th so I guess we will all be getting together for a grand time. Lee mentioned that he’d like it if we could get together for some pheasant hunting. If the seasons open we’re just going to do that little thing, too.


Last night I was up all night watching over the battery. I was assistant Charge of Quarters Mon. from 7:30 A.M. to 7:30 A.M. Tues. Sargent Metcalf the “old man” of our barracks was Charge of Quarters & had me as his assistant. I had to stay in the orderly room during the day & run errands for the Capt. & other officers. I had to unlock the rifle racks in the morn. & lock them at night, turn off all lights in barracks at 9:00 P.M., post the guard every two hours during the night, make bed check at 11:00 P.M. to see that everyone was in their bunks, & make out passes for those that wanted to go into town. Sure was a lot of work & long hours but kind of fun & good experience. The part that was toughest was staying up all night when everyone else was sawing logs. The sarge & I did sleep a little, however, in shifts. He had about 4 ½ hrs. & I got about 2 ½.I had this morning off & caught up on the rest of the 8 hrs. We listened to the Louis fight early in the eve. He really showed Nova who was boss didn’t he.


You’ll have to pardon me if I cut this letter a little short tonight because I’m tired. And another good reason is that there’s a 10 mile hike coming up in the morning with full field packs. Last time we had a 10 mi. hike I didn’t get to bed ‘till 11 bells the nite before & I was a sorry mess when I was through. I think if I get more sleep I’ll be able to take it better. We’ll see.

A few answers to your questions: No I haven’t gained any weight. Too much sweating this summer & too many colds but I feel swell & that’s what really matters the most. I bet I’ll gain this winter though.

I’ve been trying to write to Elaine for the last week & I will write in the next couple of days. You see so many things keep coming up. You must explain to her that my correspondence has got me going.

Happy to hear that Daddy’s finger is better. I know what that golf game means to him.

Don’t hear any more bout the war here in camp than I did at home, so I really don’t know how the tension is here in the East. My guess is that it’s about the same. Maybe up around New York is where the war talk is going on the loudest. We soldiers here at Bragg are against war. We’d much rather just simulate action.

Well it’s after 8 P.M. so I must turn in. Good Night & I’ll see you soon & it can’t be too soon.

With love

-Dorance, Pvt. U.S.A.

Christian Olsen